WE TRAIN AND ASSIGN OFFICIALS FOR:
The Staten Island CHSAA baseball league (Varsity, Jr Varsity, Freshmen)
Richmond County Baseball Club Tournaments
NJ Eagles & NY Phenom of the Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League (ACBL)
Mid Island Men's League
All Shore Girls Softball League
United States Amateur Baseball League (USAbl) for all games played on Staten Island, Bayonne and Jersey City, NJ
Borough Cup Tournament
We are 70+ members with 14 working professional baseball (A to AAA) & 17 working college baseball.
WHY WE ARE DIFFERENT
Our training is based on the principles taught at professional schools and at college camps and clinics. It is this training -- pre-season rule classes, pre-season on-field clinics, in-game evaluations, video, email critiques and in-season clinics -- that sets us apart. It is the SIBUA's responsibility to show you the professional way to do things, evaluate your talent and put you in the best position to be successful. The clinics and classes include the rules, positioning, mechanics, appearance, where to look when making a call, how to make a call and how to handle situations. This skill set could lead you to working High School, Jr College, College and Professional baseball.
- Games range from ages 8 to 50+. Work is assigned based on your talent, your availability and league assignments.
- You will be notified via email/text when you have received an SIBUA assignment thru our on-line assigning system, The Arbiter. Once you accept the game you will be given all the necessary information: date, time, location, partner, league, etc.
- You are required to confirm with your partner the day before the game.
- You are required to adhere to the SIBUA uniform policy.
- You are required to have your own uniforms and your own equipment.
- Game scheduling runs from March through October: weekends generally from 8am-8pm; weekdays generally from 4pm to 8pm. Most games are played on Staten Island.
- All members are required to have professional liability insurance (NASO, ABA, NFHS, etc). Proof of insurance is required.
- Know the rules of baseball and the league you are working.
- Maintain a safe environment for all participants.
- Know your positions and responsibilities on the field by adhering to the CCA manual.
- Keep your availability updated through our online assigning system, The Arbiter.
- Adhere to all policies of the SIBUA.
- Be on time for assignments.
- Act professional and keep your emotions in check while practicing good game management.
- Confirm assignments with your partner.
- Donate your time for the Johnny Ray Foundation tournament.
- Attend training classes and clinics.
- Look professional by keeping your uniforms clean and pressed and adhering to the SIBUA uniform policy.
- Put forth your best effort every game.
- Get the calls right.
- Have the intestinal fortitude to make the right call.
- Alert SIBUA administration if anything unusual occurs before, during or after a game.
- Work hard on every game. Even though you are "in", you can be dismissed for any reason at any time for not adhering to all SIBUA policies.
- Understand that everyone makes mistakes and that the job of the SIBUA is to make you a better umpire so the same mistakes are not repeated.
MEET THE CREW CHIEF